Monday, August 3, 2009

Fibergood and Finishing

So I couldn't stand it any longer, when I returned home from work the other night, and stayed up past the usual bedtime to over-dye a couple of yarn colors, coaxing them into even more radiant shades. Sherbet results are pleasing to the eye and now they are sherbet cakes after having been wound on my blessed contraption known as a ball winder. How I love that thing! Traditionally wound balls are a joy to behold but these yarn cakes are so convenient to stack and easy to pull the two ends at the same time for all this fulling madness. And did I mention beautiful? Oh yeah.

Today is my first day off for a solid week of days off and already the time is flying by much too quickly. I've got a gazillion things I'd like to do while home (yes, home) but am concentrating on finishing up some projects that have been languishing on the heap. Have finished an Amy Beret and a Smitty Cloche with the last of the details and also tossed several bits in the washer to full at lunchtime.

The Amy Beret is so fortunate that I went shopping last week and found these gorgeous beads. My intentions were to use these big girls as stitch markers for extra large projects but when I opened the package, they struck a chord and I immediately thought of this particular beret.

Very much a striking contrast against the mohair and the smaller seed beads swoop along underneath for drama. Notice how the random pattern of the mohair color helps lend the perfect backdrop. Makes me sigh....


Next, we move on to tackle a jaunty flapper cloche, the original Smitty which has been waiting ever-so-long for her embellishment. We have tried to keep this project going but every time I thought I had it right, my conscience was niggled into another direction. I had been trying to needle felt the spiral and spent hours on it only to rip it out again in frustration. The Look finally was achieved with the humble crochet hook and I worked the yarn right through the hat, gauging the width of the spiral as I worked. Pleased with that portion, I purchased flat black glass beads for the scattered trim. Vintage speaks, the crocheted bobbles dangle and add yet another textural treat for the illusion. Hmmm, visions of bobbed hair and blushing knees.



Enjoy! I think I'll go knit.
xx,
Lisa

No comments: