Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Summer Production


TOMORROW we set up for yet another Friends of Rose Algrant Art Show. Fifty years this show has been happening! Always interesting and I have exhibited in this show every year since moving to Connecticut--- only 21 years for me.

Rose was my next door neighbor in the early years but she has been gone now for more than ten years. Fascinating little bitty woman who had arrived on friendly shores from France at wartime and worked milking cows and teaching French to support herself and her son. Her stories were much bigger than herself! Taught many years at the local private school and became friends with talented artists, writers, creative, performing and thinking people who used to grace her table and conversation. She pulled everyone together in her way of supporting the arts and her tradition eventually became the annual art show in Cornwall.

I have been knitting and embellishing and sorting through projects. Have pulled out about a dozen hats to take to the show. August weather is not often conducive to selling wool hats. I take a card table in and drape it with something in the center to elevate that spot. I then perch hats all around and on top over hat stands and hat stand stand-ins like vases and giant martini glasses inverted. Whatever works.

Over the years I have exhibited everything from my handwoven baskets to painted floorcloths, English smocking, decorative painting on furniture, quilting and, yes, even fine art every so often. Sometimes I even sell a piece or three. I love being a part of the show and get to get and give a kiss on the cheek to friends I haven't seen regularly. There will be artists of reknown, Robert Andrew Parker (I've had a crush on him for twenty years!), Marc Simont, Scott Zuckerman, Tim Prentice and also artists you've perhaps never heard of but whose work is lovely none-the-less. Sometimes newsy notes are added to the Cornwall CT website.

Meanwhile, also am preparing for Rhinebeck, aka NY State Sheep and Wool Festival. But will fill you in on that story another day.
I guess I'd better go finish up my list and tags for the exhibit.

xx,
Lisa

No comments: